Subject: Re: NAB news....
From: Stephen Benson <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 01:28:51 -0700

>GIG3DGO uses constructive solid geometry for rendering, like Real3D. I'm not
>sure exactly what this means accept that the results are impressive. One
>thing that GIG has that LW will probably never have is point independent
>morphing. Pretty nifty, eh? Also, LW 5.0 freezes NURBS into polys for
>rendering, GIG uses NURBS in modeling AND rendering.

I think it means using 'solid' primitives like most of the
share/free raytracers. When you cut into a sphere, say, with an
invisible plane, a solid object results, not a hollow sphere
delimited/represented by polys. I think it also says something about
rendering algorithms -- these primitive objects are the basic
elements of rendering in these packages, I guess LW renders polys
only. 

One of the biggest conceptual leaps for me with LW was realising the
spheres etc weren't solid objects. Although you can fake it with
some of the booleans (tunnel, core). 

Then again, I could be advertising my ignorance....